If you sense that your hard disk should have more free space, and you have emptied the trash and cleared out obvious problems to no avail, then follow these steps:
- Open Finder.
- Press Command+F
- Left of the word Search > select the drive
- A drop down below the word Search should be changed to “File Size.” Other criteria are: “is greater than” and the size in MB – say 500 or 1000
- Finder will then display all files exceeding the size you selected
- You can select fields to display such as “size” by right click in the white heading of the finder window
- you can sort on size by “arrange” in the toolbar – descending
- you now should be viewing the largest files on the hard disk. If you know you don’t need it, delete it and empty the trash again.
- you can save this search for next time